Monday, August 19, 2019

Prose Poem


While Lying in Bed…

Just had an epiphany while lying in dad's bed. I now have my eyes close, and I can picture myself at home in my bed, facing the wall. Staring at the plaque I got from Akron, two years ago: The one that says,

"When I Rise In The Morning, Just Give Me Jesus!"

And then I thought… I remember being in Ghana in the bed closest to the door, and desperately wanting to be somewhere else. No one knew these thoughts but me! I also remember when I was in England in that bed, completely amazed, I mean over the moon, that I had my very own Princess suite. The view was absolutely breathtaking! I remember the bed in Japan, on the floor, oh so very hard. But, I gave it very little attention considering that I, Denise Michelle Fuller, was in Japan, supporting Missionaries…only because I was a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ! Did I mention, I was in Japan?!

I try very hard NOT to remember the bed last bed...with him! And further back, I vaguely remember the bed in Baltimore. Yes, another bed that I was NOT supposed to be in. And I had the nerve to drive all that way…What in the world?!!

There were countless other beds that I was NOT supposed to be in, and only God knows how many. Pause: Wondering if the fact that I was on my own at the age of 16, or was it 17 had anything to do with it?! Looking forward, I fondly remember my mom's bed, the one she's always surrendering to me when I sleep over.  She lovingly drapes it with the throw that I gave her for her 70th birthday.  It's a picture of the Fuller girls!

All these beds, all these memories…why am I thinking these thoughts?! Oh, I know... For now, Praise God I can remember… One day I may NOT have my memories. So for now, I'm briefly reminiscing as I lay in this bed, in my dad's guestroom.  Good bad or indifferent, I am able to recall this because I am of sound mind.

And, if by God’s will, I do not have my memory as time goes forward, I pray that I will be like Mrs. Kay. She's in the nursing home and each time I am blessed to visit her, she's often in her bed. When I walk in, I smile and say "How are you Mrs. Kay?" And from her from bed, she says, without fail, with such joy, "I'm happy in the Lord!"

Father if I can’t have my memory, can I please have that testimony? In Jesus name, amen.