Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Not A Care In The World

Father as I watched this movie the other night, not even five minutes into it that I began thinking this: 

When I first moved to North Beach it was such a joy. I was beyond amazed that it came to pass.  The sand, the waves, the funnel cake, the ice cream parlor, and the bakery. All within walking distance. Each day seemed the “glorious, delightful, unbelievable” same!  So not  boring or even predictable, but a beautiful blessed dream come true. I felt as though Ocean City came to my doorstep, I checked into a waterfront hotel and took up residence. An extended stay soon became my reality, and a sacred nearby space to retreat from the police sirens and unsolved cases that consumed my life as a law enforcement officer.

By YOUR #grace only, at 1355 hours, I would be making a left onto 261, and not soon after, pulling into my parking lot. North beautiful Beach, Maryland. Also called ‘The Jewel of The Chesapeake Bay.”

Blondie’s Bakery had freshly made cupcakes, and from scratch oh so yummy croissants with cheddar, ham and eggs. And you could get a cup of coffee inside a warm mug.

After filling my belly, I could walk next-door to Sister‘s Corner and chat with the owner.  I would pull up a chair and have some “laugh out loud” with Kathy. Not just the owner, but also my friend. Pat, her neighbor would come in without fail and share her story of the day.  Always interesting and always funny!  If I were lucky, she’d bring a tasting of something she’d made as she was always trying out new recipes.

There was also the Friday Farmer’s Market. Local and out of towners coming with great excitement and expectations.  From May through October there was a consistent flow of people and lots and lots of goodies.  Wine tasting, handmade soaps, local artists and jewelry on display, as well as band performances from time to time.  And, there were the summer throwback drive-thru Saturday Night Movies.  This was on a ginormous blow up screen on the Beach.  So, so cool, like living “in a movie.” 

In the mornings, if you got up early enough, you could be alone with the slow gorgeous quiet sunrise. Of course, the birds would be there. I mean what is life without the sweet chorus of a bird’s song? Each season was a blessed gift, with some very minor flaws.  But I deeply loved the fall leading up to winter, as the crowds began to fade. The selfish side of me, loved having the beach, the bay, and the boardwalk all to myself. And all the snow days; soon after retiring, the snow days were my favorite. Like a little kid, yay! I was no longer an essential employee.  PURE bliss with each and every perfect and unique snow flake!

North Beach had not only become a new lifestyle but my new life.  A much needed and welcomed respite after the death of my marriage, the passing of my four-legged best friend and the foreclosure on my home. Everything essential was now in a nice convenient circle. The grocery store, the library, the doctor’s office, the church, and the bank. And a little treasure unknown to me, the senior citizen community center was open to those 50 and older. Who knew? Lunch, activities, social gatherings, health tips, free computer, and a free weight room! Right outback, again, walking distance from where I lived.

It was like a fairytale life in a bubble.  Even the crime was at a minimum.  And when I say “minimum,” it was/is really nonexistent compared to the crime I encountered in the Nation’s Capital. 

Yep, not a care in the world. Walks up and down the boardwalk, waves, ducks, seagulls, swans far and few between, an endless array of flowers in so many vibrant colors, sun on my skin, a chocolate almond ice cream cone, and hellos and smiles galore. And yes, don’t forget the butterflies. The monarch bush was my absolute favorite.  There was also fishing at the end of the pier and boats pulling up to dock every now and again.  Happily, none of the food is to die for, but such a quaint little town with the basic necessities. Really, really friendly people too. It felt safe and it was safe. Law-enforcement officers did not wear bulletproof vest and just two blocks over, I’m at the police substation.

Nope! Not a care in the world…

This movie has absolutely nothing to do with my life, but there was an epiphany while watching it.  She got up and did the same thing, morning by morning.  "What happened to me?" was the quiet question inside my heart.  I used to have a simple life. No real cares known to me. Up, work, home, flip-flops...and later, dinner.  #Repeat!

"What changed?" Now, it's so different.  I’m longing to see YOU!  Desperately longing!  Overwhelmed by all the needs. My cries are deafening at times. I go through Kleenex constantly. I am burdened by Africa, Nigeria, North Korea, China, Bangladesh, Sudan, Lebanon, Syrian Refugees, and so many other countries. I’m grieved by the Western churches. I’m constantly aware that our brothers and sisters are being persecuted. Our missionaries are fulfilling the great commission, earnestly depending on our prayers, and the need for salvation...it is overwhelmingly obvious. It is so true that the god of this world has blinded the eyes of so, so many! The flesh does not think that it needs God and wants ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU! Turkey doesn’t want You, Japan doesn’t want You, and it seems more and more that the USA doesn’t want You.  As Isaiah says, “Your lips say one thing but your hearts are far from ME!” (Paraphrased) 

Today’s Western church’s lifestyle blatantly shows what and whom we love.  It’s so not a secret.  Our lives are practically on display for all of social media and we're so self-consumed that we’ve completely forgotten about Hebrews 4:13. With every post, every share, like and opinion; verbal and non….God sees it!

God You have burdened my heart and I am grateful.  So very grateful to know that this beautiful blessed life is not about me.  Living inside my dream condo is not the purpose of my life and not the reason You saved me.  YOU gave me up close and personal views of poverty, lost souls, worshipping idols, and the cost that it takes to pick up our cross and follow Jesus.  It is not a bed of roses and it is not a stroll on the boardwalk.  

It is not a fight against flesh and blood.  Ephesians chapter 6.
I can enjoy this life because of James chapter 1.
I can have an abundant life because of John chapter 10.

ALL because of JESUS...Sweet, Sweet Jesus!

So, although I have many cares, You have promised that I can cast them all on You and that You would care for me and sustain me.  Psalm 55:22.

I do like living here.  My mind, my journals and my blogs are full of fond memories.  However, when You tell me to pack it up, this I will do.  I have been a recipient of Your grace and I will not complain.  I will continue trusting in Your overwhelming and endless, faithful provisions for my life and I will keep interceding for those who have yet to experience it. 

Abba, I thank You that my tears matter to YOU!  I thank You that prayers are being #answered!

Eternally His